Featherstone produced its first vintage – a “whopping” 300 cases – in 1999.
We started making wine in the early ’90s while living in Guelph, where we ran a specialty food shop. A fascination with fermentation led us to the vineyards of Niagara, to follow the path of gifted amateurs-turned-professionals like Jim Warren, Herb Jacobson and the originals at Thirty Bench Winemakers.
In 2007, David was invited to Sileni Estates in New Zealand to work the harvest. It was there that he saw sheep being used in the vineyards to feed on cover crops and do leaf removal. He brought the idea back to Canada, where Featherstone became the first vineyard in the country to “employ” lambs. From this innovation, Featherstone’s trademark wine, Black Sheep Riesling, was born. You’ll see our trademark Black Sheep in our 20th anniversary logo.
Nine years later, Dave was harvesting in Stellenbosch, South Africa, but no zebras or giraffes have appeared in Featherstone’s vineyards or on its labels. Yet.
Twentieth Anniversary Celebration Special Offers
Throughout the 2019 summer, we celebrate with these special offers. We hope to see you in the tasting room and to share our festivities with you.
- With every purchase over $20 receive a free Limited Edition 20th Anniversary button
- Buy 6 bottles and receive a complimentary 20th Anniversary wine cooler bag
- Purchase a case of 12 bottles and receive 2.0 complimentary stemless patio GoVino wine glasses
- Sparkling Wines = celebration! Buy one bottle of Cuvée Joy Sparkling wine and receive 20% off the second bottle
- Receive a complimentary 20th Anniversary t-shirt with any purchase of 20 bottles
** offers cannot be combined**